Sightseeing – In Tholey and Surroundings!

Sightseeing – In Tholey and Surroundings!
Abbey Church and Benedictine Abbey St. Mauritius
  • Dating back to the 13th century, the St. Mauritius abbey represents a shining example of early Gothic art. The astonishingly well preserved abbey buildings and garden are of the Baroque period. The abbey itself dates back to the year 634 and is therefore the oldest of its kind in Germany.
  • This museum displays significant cultural and historical exhibits of the Schaumberg region. The exhibits range from mineralogy to pre- and early history as well as the history of the abbey in Tholey and its region.
  • The oldest traces on the Saarland’s backyard mountain date back to pre- and protohistoric times. The Schaumberg had a rather large population in Roman times. In the Middle Ages, Schaumberg had a castle that was destroyed sometime in the 1670s. In 1976, the present day Schaumberg tower was dedicated as a memorial for Franco-German understanding. Prior to its erection an older monument dating back to 1929 stood in its place.
African Chapel
  • The impressive heptagonal chapel of the Tholey Abbey on Schaumberg’s north slope houses the black Pieta. This statue was modeled by a former prisoner of war in the “Ram-Ram” prison camp near Marrakech.
Johann-Adams-Mill in Theley
  • The Johann-Adams-Mill is located north of Tholey. This mill lies in an idyllic countryside amidst of floodplains. The mill, first mentioned in 1589, is considered one of the last preserved mills in the Saarland.
Hofgut Imsbach - Imsbach Estate
  • Mentioned in the Middle Ages, the Imsbach Estate was given to the officer Lapointe as a gift by Napoleon in the beginning of the 19th Century. Following its lively history in the 20th century, the estate nowadays belongs to the listed buildings serving as Saarland’s ecology center. The many attractive hiking paths invite you to visit.
Blasius-Chapel in Bergweiler
  • The Blasius Chapel was the pilgrimage chapel of the Tholey Abbey. The chapel was rebuilt after a fire destroyed it in 1716. The chapel is a baroque treasure with a many centuries old tradition.
Parish Church St. Katharina in Scheuern
  • Built in 1914, the church of neo-baroque style, with its onion dome dominates the overall appearance of the town of Scheuern. The church is regarded as an architectural landmark in the Bohnental (Broad Bean valley).
Haus am Mühlenpfad
  • The “Haus am Mühlenpfad” is a museum of local history in the town of Neipel. Here you find insights into the village life development in the Schaumberger Land in the last 100 years.
  • The “Wortsegel“ (word sail), located in the town of Sotzweiler , is a steel sculpture created by Heinrich Popp as a “monument for poetry”.
  • Archeologists excavated a Gallo-roman town dating back to the 1st to 4th century. In addition to craftsmen’s cottages, the excavations revealed the remains of burial sites and temple ruins.
St. Wendel Town
  • The origin of St. Wendel goes back to the Early Middle Ages. The town is named after Saint Wendelinus, who came to this region in the 6th century to spread the word of Christianity. Points of interest include the St. Wendelinus basilica, the Wendels chapel, and the missionary house of the Steyler missionaries. The picturesque old part of town is certainly worth visiting